Currently based in New York City, Amra Beganovich and Elma Beganovich are digital influencers with over two million followers on social media.
The sisters are behind Club Fashionista—an invite-only platform dedicated to high-quality content focused on fashion and lifestyle. They also founded Amra & Elma, under which they serve as brand ambassadors, digital media consultants and creative directors to leading international lifestyle brands.
As philanthropists, they work with a variety of not-for-profits, such as Rescue Dogs Rock NYC, K.I.D.S./Fashion Delivers and World of Children. Recently, they joined forces with Elizabeth Hurley and Elton John to help raise funds for the Breast Cancer Research Foundation.
In addition to contributing to a variety of media publications, the Beganovich sisters are writing their first book, in which they will discuss the business of blogging in the age of social media influencers.
Exclusively for FAJO’s readers, Amra and Elma compiled a list of top 10 challenges of being a fashion blogger, and included recommendations on how to overcome each one.
1. Getting started. The biggest challenge is getting started. At the beginning of our journey, we received a lot of puzzled stares and bewildered looks, but decided to tune them out and follow our instincts. Just be confident and creative—everything else will follow.
2. Defining your blog. One of the most difficult but important aspects of blogging is defining your blog. First, ask yourself what you want to write about. Make a list of topics that are of interest to you. Your blog can have a single focus; you can expand to other topics later. Bear in mind the importance of finding your target audience too: your posts need to be relatable and relevant.
3. Creating good content. Successful bloggers have a lot to consider when building a thriving business, but the core is to produce engaging and compelling content. Before publishing each post, consider how you could add depth to it and make it more hands-on and unique to your readers.
4. Driving traffic to your blog. All bloggers can probably relate to the experience of publishing a post, expecting the comments to roll in and getting no traffic. A good tip to ensure high readership numbers is to interview other bloggers or share your blog posts on your personal social media channels. Always try to include some visual content—it really helps to garner traffic.
5. Consistency. Blogging requires commitment and consistency. Don’t be discouraged if in the beginning your friends and family make up the majority of your audience. Building something great takes time, and being consistent in your pursuits is one of the most important traits you can develop in this industry.
6. Quality vs. quantity. When we started our blog, we mistakenly believed that we needed to post articles every single day. We became so busy trying to produce content that the quality started to suffer tremendously. Now, we understand that readers come to blogs for inspiring content. It’s much better to have a few great articles than tons of mediocre ones.
7. Differentiating yourself. There are so many bloggers out there, but how many discuss niche issues, provide solutions to everyday problems, display beautiful original photos and incorporate unique design elements?
8. Monetizing your blog. You already know that creating a good blog and making money from it is not easy. It takes time, patience and hard work. First, you need to attract an audience and build your credibility. After this, you can begin to move on to sponsored posts that generate income.
9. Re-evaluating your posts. Evaluating your blog posts isn’t always easy, but it’s necessary. This way, you can improve the quality of your writing or come up with other ideas that will appeal to your target audience.
10. Maintaining a successful blog. It’s crucial to continuously educate yourself and always be aware of hot topics, new trends and fashion events—keep on top of anything relevant to your key subject.
And, to wrap things up, here are some examples of each point:
#2. Defining your blog (which also defines your beliefs and core values)—Rescue Dogs Rock NYC.
#3. Creating good content—Necker Island Trip.
#4. Driving traffic to your blog via interviewing other bloggers—Zorannah (how we started).
#6. Quality vs. quantity—From Venice with Love (making sure your content is of a certain caliber).
#7. Differentiating yourself—The Breast Cancer Research Foundation (focusing on non-profits to show the human side of you, the issues you care about).
#10. Maintaining a successful blog—NYFW (attending industry events).