By Hannah Yakobi
Photography by Kareen Mallon
It was on the Greta Constantine runway where many fashion insiders got their first hint that the carrot colour will be a very popular choice for next season.
Presenting their latest collection the week prior to the LG Fashion Week in Toronto, Kirk Pickersgill and Stephen Wong’s show once again attracted some of the top fashion journalists, bloggers, celebrities and other Canadian designers.
Both the Greta Constantine and the Ezra Constantine lines for spring/summer 2012 were showcased at designers’ venue of choice this year – the Century Room.
Here are the top 10 trends spotted on the runway:
1. Grey continues to be a predominant colour.
2. Carrot, turquoise and green punctuate the women’s collection.
3. Cowl necks make a comeback.
4. Leather elements in dresses (for women) and pants (for men) add a sexy touch. Chiffon, cotton and jersey are strongly present as well.
5. Tops and dresses get experimental with baring cuts (for women).
6. Cropped jacket is another popular look (for women).
7. There is a return of hooded shirts (for men).
8. Soft fabrics (silk) are contrasted with thicker ones (leather).
9. There is plenty of see-through clothing (for men).
10. Most dresses lack sleeves, are ¾ or ankle-long, have a very Venus-like feminine feel, and have a matching extra thin belt.