By Katherine Ellis
Photography by Jill Adams
The National Arts Centre played host to Canada’s arts elite as winners of the Governor General Performing Arts Awards celebrated their achievements at the 21st annual gala on Saturday, June 2, in Ottawa.
Famed Canadian actor Colm Feore was the Master of Ceremonies at the event. Award winners ― whose achievements ranged from dance to theatre and popular music ― were celebrated with touching tributes and performances, as well as videos created by the National Film Board (available for free download on the NFB website).
This year’s award winners included:
– Andrew Dawes, Lifetime Artistic Achievement (Classical)
– Menaka Thakkar, Lifetime Artistic Achievement (Dance)
– Viola Léger, Lifetime Artistic Achievement (Theatre)
– Jean Pierre Lefebvre, 2013 Lifetime Artistic Achievement (Film)
– Daniel Lanois, 2013 Lifetime Artistic Achievement (Popular Music)
– Eric Peterson, 2013 Lifetime Artistic Achievement (Theatre)
– Sarah Polley, National Arts Centre Award
– Jean Pierre Desrosiers, 2013 Ramon John Hnatyshyn Award for Voluntarism in the Performing Arts
FAJO Magazine brings you this exclusive of some of our favourite moments, during the show and on the Red Carpet.
The GGPAAs were hosted by the Right Honourable David Johnston, Governor General of Canada. Recipients of the Lifetime Artistic Achievement Awards were nominated and voted on by the public. Two complementary awards – The Ramon John Hnatyshyn (RJH) Award for Voluntarism in the Performing Arts and the National Arts Centre Award – were also presented during the festivities.