Being a working Mom is no easy task. Juggling between professional duties, caring for little ones, and personal time often leaves little room for a glamourous makeup routine. Meet Ada Yakobi, supermom, tech mogul and Travel & Features Editor at FAJO. Ada is my guest model for this feature, and we worked together to revamp her daily beauty regimen and give her a little more pep in her glam step. Here are some of my suggestions as FAJO‘s Beauty & Features Editor.
Ada’s everyday essentials
Ada’s current makeup routine includes a tinted brow gel mascara, a generous double coat of lash mascara, tinted moisturizer, concealer, blush, bronzer, highlight and a swipe of lip gloss. This usually takes her about 20 minutes to apply. This is already quite a few products for the everyday look, so we don’t want to add too many more steps to her routine.
Although Ada appreciates the swift application of her existing routine, she’s noticed her makeup sometimes doesn’t blend seamlessly into her skin. There are days it disappears before lunch, while on others, layering it to last longer turns it cakey and too apparent.
Occasionally, she faces the dreaded makeup “pilling”, especially when she experiments with her skincare. Ada has oily-dehydrated skin, which means she’s often oily in the summer heat and dryer in the winter. So, skin prep and proper foundations are a must.
She also tends to tan exceptionally quickly, which means her foundation colour would change accordingly, often. She has a bit of texture on her cheeks from acne scarring. Ada is open to any sort of improvement, even if it involves an extra 10 minutes to her 20-minute routine – but I think we can keep it to 20 or under for a look that stays and slays.
- To ensure a hydrated base, we started with Belif’s True Cream Moisturizing Bomb to lay a supple, smooth canvas. We let the skin absorb the moisturizer, while we are working on her eyes.
- We addressed Ada’s texture woes with MAC’s Prep and Prime Pore Refining Stick for flawlessly smooth cheeks.
- We defined her brows using an Anastasia Beverley Hills Brow Powder for a cleaner, more well-groomed look compared to the brush stroke-appearance of the mascara gel she was using.
- To create long lasting, crease-free eyeshadow, we applied a base of MAC Paint Pot from her lash line to brow bone – which also increases eyeshadow vibrancy.
- A sweep of deep brown shadow in her outer crease brought depth to Ada’s eyes and a gentle nod to glamour.
- We used the Stila Stay All Day Waterproof liner with a bit of that deep brown shadow smudged in to it for a soft and sultry layer of definition and drama to the lash line.
- Benefit’s Roller Lash Mascara enhanced her already long lashes, curling and separating them beautifully for wide-eyed allure.
- Moving on to the skin, we blotted away any excess moisturizer her skin had not absorbed yet to avoid any of that “pilling” Ada had been experiencing. This was a result of excess skin product being lifted up with a brush applying foundation. We then applied MAC Studio Fix Liquid Foundation with a damp beauty blender, which ensured the lasting application she struggled with while also ensuring a natural and flawless finish.
- Make Up For Ever Ultra HD Concealer set with translucent powder was used to immediately create a freshened up and well-rested effect.
- Stark white eyeshadow strategically in little “tick” lines on Ada’s inner and outer lash line corners and just on the brow bone, under the brow, amplified her awakened look.
- For her cheeks, we used Too Faced Chocolate Soleil Bronzer for added warmth and depth on the apples of her cheeks and under her cheek bones for a sculpted effect, with a plum blush layered just above for a natural flush, and an Hourglass Ambient Lighting Finishing Powder to make her cheek bones steal the show.
- For the simple yet effective and nourishing finale, we opted for Madeup Beauty’s Lip Conditioner in place of a lip gloss. This gave us a no-stick, shiny finish that softens and plumps your lips at the same time (and smells amazing).
Ada’s new routine gives her a visibly refreshed look. Her eyes, now with added dimension, make you wonder if she truly has a kid – because she looks so rested!
Her cheeks are sculpted, with her skin showcased in a significantly more flawless, smoot yet natural way. This routine may only add 5 minutes to her morning, and the added confidence and poise Ada radiates are priceless.