The second dish in our series is delicious, vegetarian pancakes. Serve them on their own or combine with the soup in part 1.
Here are the details.
Vegetable pancakes with spicy syrup-infused kale
A lower fat, vitamin-packed alternative to regular flapjacks, these vegetable pancakes have a more savoury taste, making them the perfect meal for a late brunch—perhaps after a jog on a late weekend morning. Being the good maple syrup-swigging Canadians we are, we couldn’t abandon sweetness altogether, but the inclusion of hot peppers in the topping helps keep it in check.
– 1 cup grated zucchini
– 1 cup grated carrots
– 1/4 cup Silk® Organic Unsweetened Soymilk
– 3/4 cup flour
– 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
– 1/2 teaspoon salt
– Olive oil
Spicy syrup-infused kale
– 1 cup water
– 1 cup sugar
– 1 hot pepper, diced (Anaheim, scotch bonnet, jalapeno or habanero, depending on how hot you want it)
– 3 cups chopped kale
2 mixing bowls
– Heat water and sugar in a small saucepan over medium heat until the sugar dissolves.
– Reduce to low heat, add the diced hot pepper, cover and let simmer.
– In one mixing bowl, combine egg, Silk® Organic Unsweetened Soymilk, grated zucchini and grated carrots.
– In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking powder and salt.
– Add the ingredients together in whichever bowl is biggest, stir until thoroughly combined.
– Remove the saucepan from the heat, stir in the chopped kale, cover and let steep.
– Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
– Spoon the batter into the skillet to make a few pancakes.
– Cook for about three minutes on each side, or until brown.
– To serve, put one or two pancakes on each plate, and top with kale as desired.
Bon Appétit! Stay tuned for the final recipe next week!
Silk soy, almond and coconut beverages are a great choice for your healthy lifestyle. With important nutrients like calcium and vitamin D, plus a silky-smooth taste you’ll crave, they’re perfect in smoothies, over cereal and straight up in a glass. Intrigued? Get to know Silk at DrinkSilk.ca
Disclosure: This post was brought to you by Silk via Glam Media Canada. The opinions expressed herein are those of the author and are not indicative of the opinions or positions of Silk.