Last December, Pantone declared emerald to be the colour of 2013, but few designers this season are actually using it in their collections.
From what our team has seen at the fashion weeks in London, New York, Montréal, Ottawa and Rome, red is taking centre stage around the world, and turning heads on and off the runways.
Red works well for most skin tones, hair colours and styles. It symbolizes power and femininity. However, it’s important to remember that red is very powerful, so it must be worn appropriately to have the desired effect.
Red is an incredibly popular colour this season, whether it’s used in the form of an accessory or clothing.
Here are our Top 10 Tips on how to wear va-va-voom red:
1. Wearing muted tones during the day and adding a bit more sparkle at night can help you experiment with different shades of the same colour.
2. A bit of red lipstick immediately increases the glam factor and has a Marilyn Monroe effect.
3. For those who like to be the centre of attention, red pants can do the trick, especially when paired with a T-shirt that has colourful prints.
4. Pick the tones that work best for your skin colour. Dark skin tones go well with shades that have an orange undertone, while fair skin tones should be paired with shades that have a blue undertone.
5. Red pumps can make an outfit extra sexy. Pair them with darker clothing, ideally grey or royal blue.
6. Scarves are particularly popular this season. A short red scarf can add a classic Parisian feel to your look.
7. Nothing makes the digits “pop” more than red nail polish.
8. To increase the “power factor”, introduce black into the equation. This works particularly well in winter, when black can be the focus of your look, with red punctuating it in the form of accessories or make-up.
9. A pendant with a dark red stone (think: ruby) will complement a dress with a deep V in a very classic way.
10. Red is a stimulator – it can be mentally liberating. Pick red when you want to make a statement and stand out.
And tip 11 – just have fun with it!
Finally, a phone as colourful as you are. The new Nokia Lumia 920, available exclusively at Rogers. Express yourself with your choice of four vibrant colours – yellow, red, black and white. Visit rogers.com/nokiacolours for details.
Disclosure: This post was brought to you by Rogers Wireless via Glam Media Canada. The opinions expressed herein are those of the author and are not indicative of the opinions or positions of Rogers Wireless.