It all began in the summer of 2013.
Five friends—Neil, Luke, Gabe, Jeff and Philip—were meeting at a co-working space. When looking around, they noticed that everyone was downing green juice and taking spin classes, but still complaining about how tired they were. This was the turning point, when the super team of five created the idea for their start-up. And the rest—as they say—is history.
A new sleep experience was built from the ground up, starting with the foundation of sleep—the mattress. Interestingly, during that time, one of Casper’s co-founders had a roommate who was unhappy with his mattress and was dreading the experience of buying one. His name was Casper.
And so, on April 22, 2014, Casper.com launched to the public. Inventory sold out almost immediately and Casper earned $1 million in revenue in only 28 days.
Now a global company, Casper is known for its obsessively engineered products and humorous ads. Everything is personalized, relatable and very user friendly. The company is now one of the fastest-growing consumer brands of all time, and its product line has expanded to include sheets, pillows, a matching foundation and even a dog mattress. This year, Casper was also named one of Fast Company’s 50 Most Innovative Companies.
So what makes the Casper mattress stand out from the rest? We took one of its pieces for a test drive and chatted with Nicole Tapscott, Casper’s general manager for Canada, to come with the following list of top 10 reasons!
10 Reasons why Casper is the best
1) The Casper mattress is universally comfortable, available in all six standard sizes and backed by a 10-year warranty.
2) Casper’s supportive memory foam and a springy comfort layer create one perfect sleep surface.
3) You only have one mattress to choose from. Forget long lines at the store, getting confused by tech jargon and spending hours figuring out which mattress is best for you. Casper combines state-of-the-art technology in a single exceptional product.
4) Casper is engineered in-house by a team of industrial designers to achieve the ideal point of form meeting function.
5) All Casper products are designed in San Francisco by an in-house 30-person design team. By making all of their mattresses in the U.S., Casper is able to develop thoughtful relationships with all of their manufacturing partners, ensuring ethically produced and sourced goods.
6) This mattress sleeps cool, provides healthy bounce and promotes ideal anatomic support.
7) You will notice that the Casper mattress is also much taller than many of its competitors. As a result, it provides a very comfortable sleeping experience.
8) Casper offers a 100-night home trial that allows product return for a full refund at any point within 100 days. In fact, Casper will arrange a courier to pick up the mattress or foundation for donation or recycling, and send prepaid shipping labels for sheets, pillows and dog mattresses.
9) The mattress was crowned one of TIME Magazine’s Best Inventions.
10) And … one of the coolest things: the mattress arrives in a small box! Wanting to make the delivery process as simple and hassle-free as possible, Casper engineered its products to be shipped in a small, “how did they do that?”-sized box. Recognizing that much of the market lives in tight quarters and without access to an elevator, the brand wanted to create a “transportation experience” that is hassle-free and accessible for all types of dwellers—from the homes of Saskatoon to the condos of Toronto.
All we can say is: sleep has never felt so good!