Meet my team: part 8
Photography by Robin Gartner
Hair: Cecile Washington
For the last four years, Amy has created beautiful make-up for many of our cover and feature stories, working on dozens of photoshoots and other creative projects.
Well-known for her wicked sense of humour and positive energy, she has been an incredible and dedicated member of the FAJO team over the years. Many of our readers will also recognize her as one of the key contributors to the Instagram #FAJOgirls posts.
Today, you can get to know her a little bit better through the interview below!
1) What do you enjoy the most about working at FAJO?
I love how laid back the whole team is. A good chunk of the team has been working very closely together for three or more years, so it makes for very smooth sailing on shoots because there is a lot of trust there.
The people are really cool and I have made great new friendships over the years here.
2) How did you get started in the fashion industry?
FAJO was actually my introduction to the industry. I have always been super interested in make-up and would post lots of make-up selfies to a Facebook album I called “Fun with MAC” (MAC cosmetics was the only brand I used at that time). Hannah, the CEO and Editor-in-Chief, is a sister of one of my best friends and she reached out to me asking if I would be interested in doing make-up for FAJO after seeing my photos. Since then, I built my experience and portfolio with FAJO to gain employment with MAC cosmetics and to build my freelancing career.
3) Create a hashtag to best describe your personality. What is it and why?
#IWantItAllYesterday. TMI warning, but my most recent relationship ended because of my workaholic attitude. I want a lot out of life, I wanted it yesterday, and I work hard to get it.
4) How would you describe your personal sense of style?
This is the hardest question for me. As a make-up artist and a recent MBA graduate, I’m always battling my inner dual personas between trying to look like a “sexy” professional business woman/ad-agency type, or a super funky make-up artist who wears blue lipstick. I really like mixing it up depending on my mood and the people that I’m with: my style can be sporty, feminine, funky and sexy.
5) Share your favourite fashion or beauty secret.
Lashes. Lashes, lashes, lashes. All day, all night. Nothing works better to immediately create a wide awake, doe-eyed, flirty and feminine look than lashes. I wear them nearly every day.
6) Let’s talk about personal preferences! Pick one:
– runway or street style? Street! 100%.
– hair or make-up? Duh! Make-up.
– red or black? I’m going to cheat here: red and black. Red lipstick with black clothes, or a red top with black pants.
– lipstick or lip gloss? Lipstick; my hair gets stuck in lipgloss.
– heels or flats? I love the look of heels but I’m like a baby deer wearing them. So flats, resentfully.
– pants or skirts? Pants.
7) What is the biggest fashion mistake you’ve ever made?
It was definitely a make-up one. I used to wear liquid liner on my lower lash-line as opposed to a soft and buffed out pencil or powder. It wasn’t my finest moment in make-up history.
8) What do you like to do in your free time?
I love filming make-up tutorials on my YouTube channel or planning a creative photoshoot. For my mind and body, weight-training and hot yoga are my jam right now.
9) We can never catch you wearing ______? Why?
Anything with puffy sleeves, ever. I don’t care how in-style it is, I don’t get why women would want to make their shoulders appear bigger.
10) What has been your favourite fashion project to-date?