With the 29th annual Contessa Awards just around the corner, FAJO got in touch with one of Wella’s head creative minds: Sherman Wong. Wella will be one of the brands presenting a special show at the event, which is essentially the beauty Oscars of Canada.
In advance of the big day, we asked Wong, who is the Education Leader & Creative Director for Coty Professional Canada, some burning questions about the haircare and hairstyling trends this season.
What are the latest trends in hair colour and hair styling this season?
This season, we are expecting to see muted colour palette that’s inspired by nature surroundings. Tones could be soft or intense. The key inspiration of our trend suggests paying homage to hand-craftsmanship.
In terms of the styling direction, we should focus on the word “simplicity”. Celebrate iconic looks with a hint of handcrafted quirk and flaw. This is what will add authenticity to an expressive personalized look. You do not need an over-complicated look: style should stay comfortable and effortless.
If you had to pick top 5 Wella products this season, what would they be and why?
– Illumina Color—beautiful color line to create natural looking light-reflective color.
– Color Renew—zero-damage color reducer that allows frequent color changes without the concern for damage associated with color correction.
– EIMI Dry Me—a dry shampoo that helps to create volume and manageable matte texture for an effortless look.
– Wella Oil Reflections Luminous Smoothing Oil—gives your hair luminosity and smoothness, without weighing down your hair. You can also look for a Wella salon that offers an Oil Reflections Luminescence Spa service to pamper your hair.
– Sebastian Twisted—for those with naturally curly hair, you should celebrate your natural texture. This is a solution to care and bring out the shine and bounce of your curl. It will help rediscover your curl power!
What are some of your tips to women who don’t have time to do elaborate hairstyles at home—how can they achieve a salon-like look in 10 to 15 minutes?
Get a really good haircut and enhance it with colour that’s suitable for your personality. In order for you to create a “salon look”, you need to invest in high-performance hair tools and suitable styling products.
What are some of the hairstyling and haircare tools that every woman must have for fall?
To create a personalized yet effortless look, I would recommend GHD Platinum Styler as it is versatile, and you can style your hair straight or wavy efficiently with the optimal heat setting. More importantly, it’s scientifically tested to operate at the optimal temperature to respect the hair health. I would also recommend using EIMI Thermal Image to prep and protect the hair before using any hot tools.